Some people don’t get around to making charitable donations until the end of the year when they’re in the spirit of holiday giving. Others think of it as a write-off during tax season.
Whenever you do it, charitable giving is a wonderful habit to adopt. So here are my top 5 organizations that focus on environmental or sustainable work. There are many great charities out there, but I opted for mentioning some of the lesser known ones who could also use some financial support.
- Safer Chemicals, Healthy Families This coalition of organizations and individuals works to inform and protect families from toxic chemicals. They’re working with legislators to pass the Safe Chemicals Act and create smarter limits on the things that go into the everyday products we use. DONATE.
- Earth Day Network Developed out of Earth Day, the EDN works with 192 countries to “broaden, diversify and mobilize the environmental movement.” Earning a 4-star rating on Charity Navigator, they have concerted efforts to promote environmental education and to green all of America’s K-12 schools within a generation. HELP THEM OUT.
- Trees, Water and People Based on the philosophy that involving those in need is the best way to help them, this organization partners with local groups to help communities manage their natural resources. They work primarily in Latin and North America in areas of reforestation, renewable energy and watershed protection. DONATE.
- Noah’s Ark Another 4-star Charity Navigator-rated organization, Noah’s Ark houses both an animal sanctuary and a children’s home. It provides humane, responsible treatment of wildlife and brings children and animals together to promote rehabilitation for both parties. SEND A GIFT.
- Kiva I discovered this organization last summer through my 40 Days to 40 blog, and I made a loan that has since been repaid in full. Kiva connects microfinance institutions with regular people to promote lending and opportunities around the world. My donation, for example, helped a 69-year-old Filipino woman stock her general store. Since she paid it back, I can now loan that money to someone else who needs it. You can choose from a variety of sectors (arts, education, agriculture, health, etc.) and receive reports on the loan’s status. MAKE A LOAN.
Want to make a donation in someone’s name but not sure which charity? Give them a TisBet Charity Gift Card where they choose the charity of their choice.